28 Feb 2013

Author 2 Author Welcomes JV!




Welcome January Valentine to my ‘Author 2 Author’ Blog Chat.

Thanks gurl for stopping by, makes a change huh from me sitting and listening to yours or even now in the next few weeks I’ll actually be a guest Lol




It pleases me to introduce to you, my good friend, Victoria Valentine: Penname ‘January Valentine’. 
Let me tell you a bit about her (Quoted from her own words)… A writer, poet and small press book publisher. Born in New York, she is now a literary recluse cloistered in a cottage nestled deep in the woodlands of Pennsylvania's lush water forests. Published 4 books of her own.





The one we are talking about today is ‘Head Over Wheels a spicy young romance by January Valentine’. I have had the pleasure of reading this book and I totally loved it! My review; given on Amazon and well as Goodreads and of course I gave it 5 stars! …
“I loved it. From start to finish I was drawn into the world that is Jewelia. In so many ways I believe her character will relate to every woman because we've all been this vulnerable at one stage of our lives and the passion this girl has is every bit a reality. I was right there with her tears, her joys, her systematic convolutions of Indigo (aka: Jimmy), her struggles, the emotions I swear I'm exhausted!!
It is an unforgettable read and one I will carry with me in my heart and love for goodreads. Excellent!”
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Tell us about 'Head over Wheels' in these few standard questions gurl, how would you describe your book?
What started out as a young adult romance spiraled into a steamy new adult novel about a college girl whose lifelong dream is to be a Crime Scene Investigator for the NYPD. She's had her ups and downs in life, but finally has her future tied up in a pretty purple bow ... until she walks into Kelly's Cafe where she literally loses her balance and her heart. Indigo (James/Jimmy Ballou) is finishing medical school and will begin residency in a few months. He's got commitments and overwhelming dedication to medicine ... oh yeah, he's also got some secrets that are stopping their relationship dead in its tracks before it even starts.  Still, Jewelia makes his blood boil. She's driving this man insane! To the point he cannot control himself. This is where the novel earned the reader advisory: over 17. Indigo has been wrapped up in nothing but his medical career, but Jewelia manages to work herself into his life and a teetering relationship. Still, things seem to always be "his" way, which doesn't seem to be working for a feisty, strong-willed girl from Poughkeepsie. Because of outside influences, namely bitch-witch Vanessa Whitehall, the two lovers are often at odds. Still, separation brings them closer, in more ways than one. For as much as they both try to keep things light, their encounters grow hotter and hotter until everything explodes one weekend in Maine. So you think that's it, and it's happily ever after? Guess again. It's only the beginning of the end. Will it be the real end for these two people who seem destined to be together? Will he be there to catch her when she's falling head over wheels?
And all I ever say when I hear his name “Oooohhh Indigo!!” Lol

Okay, keeping calm lol
Next Question; what Genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein
or are you hoping (if not already) to explore new ventures?
I write in multiple genres. Romance, Psychological Thriller, Horror, and at times include a variety of elements, such as humor, in my books.  I even write children's stories. 

Tell us what inspired you to write your books?
Like many others, I've always loved to write, and have been writing since I was child.  Writing is half of my life. The other half is my family. If I'm not writing, I get mean and nasty. Ask my family, they'll agree. ;)
Nothing in particular inspires my books. They come from random thoughts and phrases, sometimes the title comes first and I write the story around it.

Who was the easiest character to write and why?
Hardest and why?
Jewelia Delarosa was my easiest character to write, because I decided to write her in first person.  She's feisty, controlling, fun loving, sensitive and has a deep capacity for love. I think I just wrote about myself!  :D
None of the characters were difficult to write, but if I had to choose, I'd say: Indigo, because he started out the way I had him in mind, but as the story developed, so did Indigo who changed dramatically throughout the book. He ignored me and wrote himself.

Are your characters based on real people? People you may know or TV/Movie stars?
I don't base my characters on anyone special. They more or less write themselves as the story unfolds. Books are like real life: story lines change, personalities morph, you never know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Without giving anything away, what is/are your favorite scene(s) in your book?
I love many of the scenes in Head Over Wheels, especially the sex scenes. These two characters battled their way through pages, and I hope I've given them enough of a reward. I love the club scene which ends with Jewelia and Indigo outside, where he backs her against the wall and gets so sexy with her.  I love the scene in his Wrangler which is their first really heated encounter. He takes matters into his own hands a lot! He's so sexy, but never pushy or controlling. Just downright irresistible.
Another yummy scene is when Indigo picks Jewel up after work for a dinner date. Before he has a chance to strip off his scrubs after a long day at the hospital and shower, he's lifting Jewelia onto his kitchen counter. What girl wouldn't love to be the main course in a delish guy's classy Manhattan apartment?
PMSL yeah they are deffo my fav scenes as well, also the scene after that steam session in the kitchen when Vanessa comes over and her and Jewelia have than totally awesome battle of wits! Lmao I was laughing so hard my family thought I was having a trip lol x

Right, if your book had a theme song, what would it be and why?
A theme song for Head Over wheels? Hmmm. 
It would have to be Meredith Brooks "What Would Happen if We Kissed". The first half anyway, because my characters aren't married. You can feel the heat in those lyrics.

Electricity, eye to eye
Hey don't I know you
I can't speak
Stripped my senses
On the spot
I've never been defenseless
I can't even make sense of this
You speak and I don't hear a word
”.

This song describes Jewelia's character perfectly. Maybe something heartbreaking, because there's a lot of heartbreak in the book for Jewelia, and I guess for Indigo as well, but to be honest, I felt Jewelia's pain more. Maybe because I'm a woman.
Couldn’t agree more xoxo

Do you listen to music while you write your books if so ... what songs?
YES! I listen to music while I write. I cannot write, or do much else, without music. I've written lyrics and produced an alternative rock CD called Eyes of Ash. I love all kinds of music, rock, jazz, classical. My iPod is a potpourri of music from the fifties on up. I love listening to oldies. I find it soothing.

What’s up next for you?
I'm 20K into another book. I always start a new book while I'm finishing one, because I always have to have a project going.

What inspired you to be a writer? Is there anything in particular that spurred you on?
I think being an emotional person helps one write. I used to write a lot of poetry, because that's an excellent way to vent. I think I have to credit the book, Crooked Tree, by Robert C. Wilson, which started my actual writing career. I read it years ago and loved it so much it inspired me to write my first horror novel.

What’s came first the chicken or the egg? lol
OMG - that's like the question of the universe. What was there before there was nothing? 
Lol!
It could make your head spin. I'm crazy enough without trying to figure that stuff out. LOL.
PMSL oh you crack me up haha! xoxox

A little background into your writing: when did you start?
What was your first piece?
First published piece, tell us about your general history…
My first book was The Last Resort. It's a horror story that takes place in an imaginary town in upstate New York, complete with creature and legend. It's never been polished enough for publication.  I've written many short stories. I started indie publishing in 2000, and put my own work aside until last year. Prior to that, I had some pieces published in UK, France, India and South Africa by small presses. When I returned to writing, in 2002 I believe, I complied a collection of short horror stories and poems called At the Stroke of Midnight 24 tales of terror. Then I wrote the Cutest Little Duckie children's color storybook. I have a book almost ready: Worn but not Broken, stories of strong women and the men who love them. But I want to do some revising on that one. If you notice, all of the women in my stories are strong. The men are as well, but again, they are sensitive. My relationships are passionate, loving, and sharing. I like a level playing field in my own life and fictional one. I wrote Love Dreams and Sweet Dreams in the Mind of a Serial Killer in 2012, Head Over Wheels in 2013, and if all goes well, I'll have another genre: YA paranormal, ready to release this fall. It will be a trilogy with the last book linking back to Sweet Dreams.

Do you have any favorite books or authors?
I admire many authors, especially Nicholas Sparks, Stephen King, Dean Koontz.

Are you working on anything else besides this?
I also host two radio shows on blogtalkradio.com Away With Words on Wednesday evenings @ 7:00 p.m. EST. I interview and promote other authors and poets; as you know…
Yes I do ;)
We Three Pimps will premier on March 5th. @ 7:30 p.m. EST. It's the same concept as AWW, but in this show, I'll be discussing my own work each week with two other writers for the first half hour, and then we'll be pimping a different guest each week.
Yes and I’ll be live on this show on April 3rd so tune in and listen to me make a complete ass out of myself lol

Here could you give us a few words to people who haven’t yet read your book (s).
Sell your work ;)
I'm an indie writer from New York, USA.  I format and design my own books. It normally takes me six to eight months to get a book ready for release. I do most of the editing myself. Writing is not as easy as some may believe. It takes a good chunk of your life, and energy, but it's so worth it. Like other writers, I put my heart and soul into every page, and hope to have many readers enjoy my work. 
With the phenomenal number of authors and books that are on the market these days, it can be difficult to get your book out there, to find the right audience, and a fan base. If you haven't yet read any of my work, it's my hope that after reading about me and my books, you'll search Victoria Valentine and January Valentine, my pen name, on google, Amazon and Goodreads.
What is an author without readers? This writer would be lonely and unfulfilled. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me by purchasing my books and leaving ratings and reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.
I would also like to thank the dedicated reviewers who spend endless hours reading and writing about our books. Reviews are one of the best ways for readers to find us. Writers, especially indies, need all the exposure they can get.
If you love hot and spicy contemporary romance with an intricate and satisfying plot, please check me out on: http://www.januaryvalentine.com
Thank you dear Ellie Williams for this opportunity. xoxoxox 
My pleasure hun you know that ;) x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






Okay so this is Head Over Wheels Book Blurb;

A quick reminder that this book contains graphic sexual encounters and language. Not recommended for readers under 17.
Turning 21 hasn't proven very fruitful for Jewelia Delarosa. Still, one lost boyfriend & two failed classes haven't gotten her down. She's got her sights set on a career with the NYPD, and is on course ... until she meets an irresistible and unpredictable Med Student who contradicts everything she thought she knew about Life, Love, Commitment ... and Sex. Whether on the front seat of his Wrangler or his kitchen counter, her reserve is low, desire higher than the roof of the isolated A-frame in Maine where the two enjoy a weekend with friends, and take romance to the next level. Who'll be there to catch her when she's falling Head Over Wheels?

Love it! Okay so there are many ways you can contact Victoria; here are some of the ways...




That's all we have time for today but tomorrow we have more...

Tomorrows guests are Authors Roy MauritsenRK Morrison/ KatieMayo-Jackson. Like their pages and we'll see ya tomorrow
xxx



6 comments:

  1. It is isn't it! What an awesome Blog Chat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful reading this interview/chat. I've recently 'met' Victoria. I've now had also the great pleasure of reading 'Head Over Wheels', and it goes without saying that I loved it. A talented lady for sure. I still very much have Indigo and Jewel within the confines of my mind. Fabulous, although my ugly side (we sort of all have one where nasty people are concerned) wanted to come out and poke Vanessa in the eye - hard.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! Sorry - I think my eyes squinted there for a sec. It should read, 'I've now also had', and not 'I've now had also'. :)

      Delete
  3. lol it's cool, we all have typo moments, me more than most lol Victoria will tell ya we're the typo Queens lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do! :) I'm very OCD over them. But well, not the end of the world. LOL Thanks for the blog follow, Ellie.

      Have a super day!

      Delete